Caramel Mud Layer Cake Recipe
1½ cups plain flour, sifted
1½ cups caster sugar
1 ½ cups cocoa, sifted
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
¾ cup (190mL) buttermilk
¾ cup (190mL) warm water
¼ cup (60mL) vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup caster sugar
1 tbsp light corn syrup
½ cup heavy cream
2 tsp sea salt
5 tbsp cold butter, chopped
3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 cup cocoa powder
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup milk, room temperature
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Prepare frosting by first, in a small bowl, sift together the confectioners sugar and cocoa powder. Add butter, milk, and vanilla; stir until smooth and free of lumps. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F.
- Grease and line the base and sides of two 20cm round cake pans with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and baking powder in the bowl of an electric mixer, beat on low until just combined.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, warm water, oil and vanilla; beat on a low speed until well combined.
- Divide batter between pans, bake for 45 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean; cool cake in pans for 20 minutes.
- Turn out on a wire rack and cool completely.
- Make Caramel:
- Combine sugar, corn syrup and a ½ cup (125mL) water in a medium saucepan over high heat. Cook, without stirring, for 15 minutes or until sugar is golden.
- Remove from heat and carefully pour in cream (be careful as the caramel mixture will bubble), whisk until smooth.
- Return to heat and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Pour caramel into a medium bowl, whisk in salt, cool for 15 minutes. Slowly whisk in butter; cool completely.
- Trim tops of cakes using a serrated knife to create a level surface.
- Cut each in half horizontally for form 2 layers.
- Transfer 1 layer to a serving platter, and spread 1/3 of caramel.
- Top with another layer, and repeat with remaining caramel and cake layers, leaving top uncovered.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour or until set. Frost tops and sides of cake with chocolate frosting.